'Grandmother Was A YoYo'

1917 Italy Engraved Map

Sachets ... Coming Soon!

Manolo Blahnik Sketch Book Lithographs

A Friend Is ... Vintage Joan Walsh Anglund 10 08 11

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm thrilled to have happened across a lovely boxed set of Joan Walsh Anglund original 1958 folio lithographs.


And I've fallen in love with her work, all over again.  I was 5  and a new reader when her first major success hit the bookstores ... "A Friend Is Someone Who Likes You".


My mother knew this was a classic the moment she saw it and she purchased every one of Anglund's books for me. Actually, looking back on it, I know the books were really for her. She felt such an affinity with Anglund ~ both illustrators, both Illinois natives, born two months apart, 200 miles apart. My mother had such admiration for Anglund.


I wish Mom had been with me when I came upon these at the yard sale. She would have been thrilled. I'll keep two of the painfully dear lithographs, for my Mother. Just for her. I miss you, Mom, and I love you.


And the rest? They'll be waiting for you in my two shops, here and here.
Friendships begin because, even without words, we understand how someone feels.

A brook can be a friend in a special way. It talks to you with splashy gurgles. It cools your toes and lets you sit quietly beside it when you don't feel like speaking

... love comes quietly ... but you know when it is there because suddenly ... you are not alone anymore ... and there is no sadness in you ...



2 comments:

Barbra said...

You made me 'awhhhh.....' and I went and found (a miracle) my copy of "A Friend..."...thanks for the memory step!

August 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Unknown said...

Aren't they dear!<3 I remember, very clearly, using her artwork as models when I had visions of becoming a great artist!

August 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM
Related Posts with Thumbnails