'Grandmother Was A YoYo'

1917 Italy Engraved Map

Sachets ... Coming Soon!

Manolo Blahnik Sketch Book Lithographs

The Quote

Thursday, May 27, 2010


Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced.”
― James Arthur Baldwin

Quotes usually fall into one of two categories for me ~ I love them because ring so very true for me or I hate them because they ring too very true for me.


If I'm just browsing for quotes, my preference runs more to the wit and candor of Dorothy Parker and Oscar Wilde's rapier wit rather than the 'Love Is Never Having To Say Your Sorry' pablum. Not that those sorts of quotes aren't good, it's just that ... well, those sorts of quotes have no bite. And I like bite.


So I think another topic for me here, once in a while, will be Favorite (and Least Favorite) Quotes.  And, if you have a particular favorite, I'd love to read it. I don't have just one favorite. And they shift and change with my mood and the day's journey.


And so, with that, here are some entries for today. All courtesy of Ms. Parker and Mr. Wilde.



Brevity is the soul of lingerie. Dorothy Parker


Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Oscar Wilde


Memory is the diary that we all carry about with us. Oscar Wilde


Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future. Oscar Wilde


A true gentlemen is one who is never unintentionally rude. Oscar Wilde


When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers. Oscar Wilde


Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes. Oscar Wilde


We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde


Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words. Dorothy Parker


Anybody can be good in the country. There are no temptations there. Oscar Wilde


I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be darling at it. Dorothy Parker


All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his. Oscar Wilde


Love is like quicksilver in the hand. Leave the fingers open and it stays. Clutch it, and it darts away. Dorothy Parker


In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde


She realizes she doesn't know as much as God but feels she knows as much as God knew when he was her age. Dorothy Parker


I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. Oscar Wilde

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails